(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Sunday 3 April 2016

The final push.... Making and production of the Degree Show piece(s)

Having recharged my batteries and taken a break from University over the previous week, I've returned to the studio over the last few days of March to start production of a proposed final piece for the Degree Show which is due in a couple of months time.  The Studios this last week have been wonderfully quiet as officially, the holidays continue for the next two weeks after Good Friday/ Easter Monday, so I intend to use this quiet time to make as much of a head start as I can.... (no pun intended)...

To recap, I have planned the ideas of the fragment of garden gnome and settled on a piece that represents a part of the gnome's face.  I want to create an artifact that holds its own aura and presence, whilst at the same time, provides a focal point for enquiry from viewers that is rich in ideas.

The dimensions settled upon have been adapted again, as last week I was able to set up the first draft of a full size pattern in a vacant studio.




The ability to print a poster using the Windows .pdf driver prooved useful, and I was able to create a plan / schematic made up of A4 sheets of paper, then joined together, to give me an idea of scale.








I again checked the size of the artefact that I will produce. My initial observations were that whilst I had increased the size of the object to a sufficient dimensional for a wall hanging, I felt that it still lacked an essence which when referring to Walter Benjamin and the idea of an art piece creating and holding its own aura, whilst my previous maquette went towards serving some of that purpose I am still of the opinion that size of the finished object is extremely important.

 Not satisfied with the size, I effectively doubled it again to make a much larger template, as can be seen in the foreground, and the interim version on the studio wall in the back ground...

Therefore having assessed this initial pattern in a different environment, I have decided to create a much bigger object in order of magnitude again.

No comments:

Post a Comment