(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Reflections on a one-to-one tutorial with Christian.

Following my assessment that I completed last week, (after which I must admit I felt quite deflated), my one-to-one tutorial this morning, with Christian, I'm glad to say turned me around and I am now re-energised to continue with the project, albeit in a slightly different direction.

In our conversation I explained that my assessing tutor had suggested that "when viewing your work it is a little bit like observing a very nervous pub comedian, who tells a joke to the audience and there is no response."

The suggestion was, is the pub comedian something worth playing with?  Can I unpack that observation?

An interesting sentence that was given was "give myself permission to draw… There is nothing wrong with copying the classical post-Renaissance artists"…
- What can I do in order to boil the classical down?  What can I do with this as an idea to take forward?  In other words create ideas within the classical environment but explore them in a new way, bring new ideas to bear.

Some suggested readings might be Richard McGuire and his book "Here" 2014.  Daniel Clowes and his books on graphic novels, Mick maddens 99 ways to draw, adventures in style.

Christians' view is perhaps, that my drawing whilst it is progressing, is not "measured" enough.  I need to explore some new material, by that he means I need to gather real material in order to draw from life.  It is perfectly acceptable to become a technician of drawing, but I need to bring contemporary ideas to that discipline. By creating graphic novels for example this may bridge the gap?


No comments:

Post a Comment