(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Wednesday 14 January 2015

Putting the finishing touches to my 2nd Project, ready for Assessment

Wow, time really does fly.  I've been thinking hard as to what I'm going to do for my final piece for the Assessment over the last month.  Time has really flown by since commencing the Christmas and new year break from University.

My journey (well, this little sojourn in particular) started with Grayson Perry and his wonderful works of "The Vanities of Small Differences", viewed at Temple Newsam near Leeds about three months ago. I was committed to continue to use the study of the works of the Great Masters as a back bone for my self driven learning, whilst at the same time trying to satisfy the project brief too.  This took me through some of the works of Johannes Vermeer, I chose Girl with a Pearl Earing as my first study and applied theme, through to Holbien's Ambassadors (a favourite classic), Gainsborough's Mr & Mrs Andrews, and then back to Hogarth (whom Grayson Perry was originally inspired by for TVoSD).  However, instead of A Rake's Progress I chose Marriage Alla Mode as inspiration.  What hit me in the eye through studying all of the above Masters' works was the concept that Class, Culture and Taste had been staring me in the face... It was the drapery and curtains!... So this is my final subject matter to create the narrative I've been looking for...

So my evaluation and synposis of my work is pretty much done.  The final three pieces, which are very Kitsch in practice, clearly reflect a narrative of contemporary culture, class & taste. 

The Upperclass narrative is based on an aristocratic sense of drapery, together with matching cushions and the Louis XVI chair to the side of the window, which complement the blue inner black-out curtains.  These would be 'at home' in a stately home.  The view from the window would be of Lancalot 'Capability' Brown manicured planting, with trees forming part of the frame.


The middle class representation, still defined in a rather kitsch style of painting and in object too, I decided to leave with the appearence that it is 'unfinished'.  A work in progress.  This is an allusion to the 'new' middle classes, where they seem to be on a constant voyage of change.  The class often in engrossed in domestic building works, extensions and so forth, so I decided to hint the same through this painting.



 The final, working class piece is practical and simple.  There is still some elegance in decoration to be found, but it's purpose is to shut the outside world out, to shut the work out, which is hinted at through the view through the window.  The window too is a practical utilitarian uPVC modern style, with the ceiling lower than the upper class lofted space.  The inclusion of the box of drawers to underline the utilitarian practicality of this status.

No comments:

Post a Comment