(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Wednesday 4 February 2015

Reflections on the weekly briefing for adaptation, appropriation and interpretation

Having thought about where I want to go with this new project I realise that I need to start with defining a new brief.

My doodling so far hasn't really produced anything of substance...



I will need to make a statement of who I am, with regards to my artistic practice; what my areas of interest are currently; and how I would define each of the three words, adaptation, interpretation, and appropriation.  Notions of each of these reference words will change into my own ideas as the project progresses.  I recognise that the interpretation of the brief will be about both my own feelings, loops, culture, raison d'ĂȘtre and existing knowledge but, it will also need to signify some kind of challenge and interpretation in order for the viewer of my own work to develop their own interpretation in isolation.

I intend to write into the brief to love the details of my own methodology and how the action of making stuff and then lead on to new ideas.

As we are now halfway through our degree journey I'm also mindful that at this stage as a student I should also be much more comfortable when using different mediums, different methods and processes etc, in order to make things generally in a more sophisticated engagement.  One of the points that was made during my assessment was that my draughtsmanship is now at a reasonable standard but I still have a long way to go in the improvement of my painting skills.  And therefore keen to explore through this project how I can improve.

As an attempt to start to think about project brief I have created a rough skeleton format below.

Aims;
to develop three strands of investigation and practice in order to strengthen I artistic practice, to widen the scope of the existing body of work and to negotiate a collaborative approach to future artistic endeavours.

Objectives;
strengthen my drawing and Mark making skills.
Explore and expand existing technical skills in the development in more contemporary and contextual practices.
Commence a collaborative project strand to consider and evaluate the benefits of such in future practices.

Strategy;
into new to study the Atelier approach of selecting the works of the grandmasters.  Survey and select appropriate sources first structured and cohesive period or tactile epistemology to continue.
Develop a project based on the outcomes of the existing body of work, to make more contextual and technology driven outcomes.
To select an appropriate external project to engage with, in order to experiment and exercise and strengthen both existing and newly acquired skills.

Some of the artists that I need to research all in my one-to-one tutorial with Prof Swindell a few weeks ago other works of Stephen Campbell and Malcolm Morley.  Is view is that I need to be creating something perhaps on the face of it to look more naive, but nevertheless more painterly.  This work will this will require looser Mark making, but more descriptive art work that should be demonstrative but not illustrative.  He is looking for me to engage with the material itself and make more ambitious works.  To this end I need to clear my wall and put a fresh large piece of double elephant sized paper and start expressing myself in a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment