(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Saturday 4 April 2015

Interpretation, Appropriation & Adaptation. - Recent reflections

I am still very concious that I'm searching for my own signature, or stylistic recogniser to my work, despite having changed my method and process many times in the journey to date.

As a result, I'm finding it increasingly worrying that without this easily recognisable signature (I'm not sure what else to call "it", where the "it" is some form of type, attribute, quality, feature, visual language, blueprint, landmark, schema or 'beatitude'), that sets my work apart from anyone else's, I'm not making the kind of progress that academic evaluators are searching for, either.





So, I was really very disappointed that my mid-term formative assessment has taken a complete nose dive, being some 10 points 'plus' lower than the mid term assessment only four months previously! - I was only 2 points away from a first degree, but now I'm 12 points away, resulting in a very mediocre 2:2 score ... The only deduction that I can make from this is that whatever I'm doing, I'm doing wrong.... Or is it maybe, I'm doing what I think is right, when in fact, I'm wasting my time and focussing on the wrong things, with regards to what is being assessed by my tutors?

All in all, this has numbed my motivation to do very much this last week, other than a selection of simple sketches, just trying to keep my eye and hand co-ordination in step...

My research into what I can do to improve, - by way of adjusting my approach, rethinking my position and trying to recover from the down-turn, also hasn't been helped by being away from the University environment on Easter vacations.

The summary of feedback is aimed at me making a re-evaluation of what I am doing completely, with respect to asking myself why I am choosing the exemplars I have selected (such as Vermeer, Da-Vinci, Michel-Angelo, Harold Speed, Charles Bargue and Paul Bonnard).
My selected Masters created schema or 'codes' within their own works, but I need to recognise these codes better, -which will allow me to then translate them into my own codification through the pieces that I make.  If I am able to recognise these 'codes' more readily, I would then be able to analyse them and start to apply my own equivalents through my own modes of engagements.  This will also help me to 'find a trace of purpose' in my works, which will result in the pieces becoming a deeper engagement and improve the subconscious dialogue with the viewer. - In other words, to keep the viewer in a mode of curiosity and inquisitive engagement with my art in a contemporary form.

No comments:

Post a Comment