(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Tuesday 11 November 2014

Year 2, Term 1, Project 1 - Reflective review

Contemporary Art and Illustration,
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Degree, Year 2.
Project 1, Term 1, - Studio Practice
By
Graham Hadfield U1374867
University of Huddersfield

The act of drawing and how we individually perform the general practice of mark making; through a fashioned tool like a pencil, pen, brush, finger or other implement capable of leaving a trace behind it, upon a medium or surface, is, in my opinion, one of the most fundamental privileges that makes each of us uniquely human... From the very outset of this project, I have felt energised and completely engaged in both conceiving and creating ideas, and searching for ways to produce them. Drawing, especially with pencil, is one of my most favourite pastimes.

My principle site and subject of this work, I seem to have subconsciously chosen back in December 2013. This was influenced by the seductive facade of Huddersfield Railway Station, from which I had produced a sketch / concept painting. The other nominated sites of the 'Modernist' Town Library and Art Gallery, and the 'Post-modern' architecture of Queensgate Market, - whilst of interest, did not engage me.

During my research, survey and collect phase, I was always drawn back to the vibrant and neoclassic area of St George's Square, immediately in front of the railway station. I fully engaged here through a series of exercises in order to 'capture and gather' through both photography and quick sketch drawings, items and subjects that were of interest to me or seemed to get my attention. I was also alert to look for items that were out of place; things that did not belong here, or were perhaps 'alien' or at odds within the environment.

Much of the first three weeks were spent on fully assimilating both the information provided in the brief; - to create a plan of approach; and, in order to help me clarify and analyse, my points of interest. It wasn't long before my attention was drawn towards the high level of spots and blackened marks scattered throughout the paving area of St George's Square. Some observation of pedestrian traffic and a very little physical analysis proved that these spots were in fact caused by discarded chewing gum; either spat out, tossed or seruptitiously ejected by the users of the Square. This seemed an ideal subject which linked with the underpinning theme of our project, - that being concerned with The Environment. I wanted to subtly show our human interaction with it through our negligent and delinquent actions. I wanted to relate this to time, to space (both micro and macro), to our individuality, but also to our 'group-ness'; the way we repetitively do things we think are unimportant, but add up to a critical mass that becomes an issue for all of us, - almost becoming a “common enemy” or threat.

A simple project Gannt Chart (an example is shown here), provided me with a visual guide to help organise and prioritise stages with information and intended tasks. I was able to commence early production of some concept pieces. These first sketches and drawings enabled me to reflect and reinterpret the Gestalt and the wholeness of the project brief and my own aspirations.

My inspiration for much of the initial work came from Dianna Petherbridge's book, The Primacy of Drawing, 2011, (Yale University Press). The works of Sol Le Witt, Brice Marsden and Russel Crotty, stimulated ideas of both Mark Making and the sense on the Grid. This combined with the Book Vitamin D and D2, (2005 and 2013 respectively) Phiadon Press, provided more from Artists Matthew Monahan, Ewan Gibbs and Jarinda Voigt.

The concept of the grid however, particularly resonates throughout all my work. I have seen similar concepts too from the artists work by Sophie Call, and Michel De Certea, and his book such as "practice of everyday life." In particular, -"walking in the city" (which is a chapter in his book) he discusses the pan-optic view and the deviation from the grid.

I engaged in an immersive final two weeks of creative activity and applied the reference notions from other leading contemporary artists, particularly with regard to repetition, space, time etc, on my final piece of work, entitled 

“Constellations of Draco”.


And this was my wall-space by the time I had finished the "collecting & Analysing" stages...









My final piece measures about 2.5 metres by 1.75 metres approx.  So with the detail of the grid now complete, I must pass on my thanks to the current first year owners of the wall, Becky and Jennifer who kindly let me use their space for the three weeks or so leading up to the assessment.  You can have your wall back now, Thanks again you two!... :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment