(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Tuesday 19 January 2016

Start of a new Semester, and I'm raring to get back into the studio!

Spending some time in the studio today thinking about my next stage of research into all things gnomic, I have been forming the idea of picking out the abstract, part of the broken gnome face.

I started by making a rough sketch of the initial size that I propose to create this fragment of a gnomes face. At this stage it is relatively small, being approximately 600 mm x 300 mm or so.


 The method I will use to create the fragment must be able to be done reasonably quickly. The outcome or artefact needs to have the capability of itself being fastened to the wall for display purposes, so I will likely use wooden batons to brace the object.

Having thought for some time about how I am going to create and render an appropriate fragment of the face that I have already chosen, I have been thinking about using a fine wire mesh cage, onto which I will layer plaster of Paris, or more slower drying regular wall plaster. I've also been thinking about the materiality of the object and have come to the conclusion that it may be worthwhile to experiment with future copies of this first artefact, by using different substrates of material such as Appia mache made from shredded personal documents, such as bank statements, mortgage advice notes, bills and invoices and other such identifiable paper stock. I might also add dust and detritus to the patio mache and try to incorporate it with the mixed plaster? By doing this I am then true to my intentions of using these materials, when I created my first planning sheet back in October last year. So onto practice then and the first thing I need to do is to order the chicken wire mesh so that I can get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment