(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Friday 22 January 2016

Research and development - studio practice tutorial

I was lucky enough to have a studio space tutorial today with Dr Dale Holmes. I described my intention around creating an oversized large fragment of the broken gnome as discussed in an earlier blog.

 I also explained how my idea develops further to explore the ideas of kitsch and the work of Jeff Koons and I posited the question to Dr Holmes about covering the plasterwork in gold leaf affect. Whilst this may be reference to a "TK Maxx" kind of thing, it's worth experimenting with?

Dr Holmes suggested that I looked at an idea that may help with my imagination, as he recalled the television series entitled "Breaking Bad" and in this particular edition the whole show was an obsessive exploration of the unknown object. Basically it follows the protagonist in his obsession to retrieve an unknown object that has fallen from the sky into his swimming pool. It might be a good lead to think about, if I can find that particular episode.

Also try to look at the work by Steven Shaviro, and the book Post Cinematic Effect. (I'm glad to say that later on in the evening I was able to find a magazine article from Film Philosophy Magazine written in 2010, while Steven Shaviro was a professor at Wayne State University, United States).

Conclusions;

  • I need to create something to show my journey over the last few years, and whilst the golden artefact might be appropriate as a reference to the contemporary, maybe I really need to think about producing something which is a reflection of my student learning experience.
  • A very large plaster cast fragment will provide enough curiosity, and yet retain the reference of academic narrative.
  • I think it will be a sufficient narrative to provide this enigmatic view of the journey I have personally taken over the last three years.
  • Because I will make a series of these casts, it makes sense to make a number of different versions in order to test each one for its own built-in intrinsic affect.
  • The academic document entitled "post-cinematic effect: on Grace Jones, Boarding Gate and Southland tales, written by Steven Shapiro in 2010, seems to be an excellent source of theoretical material closely linked with the research that I am currently undertaking. I will go through this document which is some hundred and three pages long and provide a summary a later blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment