(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Monday 5 October 2015

Research & Development for Major Project - Planning Excercises

Now that my problem definition has been successfully navigated, my usual approach to any project is to try to understand and focus on the outcomes, - the project objectives, - and then work in a reverse kind of order of thinking, to ascertain what is needed in the shape of resources, time, costs and standards of quality to meet those objectives.

Usually, almost all projects do not have a singular goal.   It's likely that as part of this project, there will be a number of goals that emerge along the journey.  I used the metaphor of the journey regularly, and I will continue to do so as it is the easiest way to articulate the twists and turns and junctions that need to be negotiated whilst progressing.
To recap, I have already discussed the general idea of creating a hypothesis, and antithesis and finally a synthesis of my ideas.  I'm now at a stage where I can drill down much more deeply into individual steps, and break away from the traditional methods that I have been used to using for the past 30 years.  What I mean by this is, I'm now free to explore, and to give myself permission, in effect, to play.  I now realise that this is fundamental in the understanding of the phrase research through practice.
  1. I have already chosen my main area of material study.  This will be painting with new media such as acrylics and other mixed substances.
  2. My main area of theoretical study will link with my practice of material study and also with my studio practice.  I have already created a draft of my proposal for theoretical study which will complement the concept of things left behind.
  3. And finally, my studio practice research is also taking shape now, again, which will complement the above two study points.  The rich source of objects for me to conceptualise and represent either directly or abstractly, are all to be found in "things left behind".
So onto the planning exercises.  The suggested way forward by my tutor are logical and rational exercises that I have encountered before, and so I was pleased to see some commonality in the methods used here to.

In essence, a mind map seems to be one of the favoured ways of the University and in particular the art, design and architecture school, to conduct initial brainstorming (where brainstorming is also very widely used as a planning tool).



A second exercise was to create a swot analysis, again a regular and popular tool used to tease out strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
 S.W.O.T. Analysis <a dynamic document, CLICK HERE to see it! >

And the third exercise is to create a "bucket list"...  This, I think, is similar to brainstorming, nevertheless, I have also included it here for completeness;
 Bucket List < A dynamic document, CLICK HERE to see it! >

There are many other tools that can also be used, such as a fishbone analysis for example, network or nodal analysis, and 0ST map etc.  In this instance I have not gone into such depth as I am determined to avoid any constraint on my creative thought, which may influence the concept of play.  Whilst all these tools are very useful, it is possible that my somewhat automata thinking may stifle new creative directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment