(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Saturday 3 October 2015

Major Project - Step 1 - Problem Definition

Thinking about the challenge of finding a significant purpose of my focus, and thoughts about what my body of works will be, has led me to consider suitable "problem statements" to apply to the title "Things Left Behind".

The mind map I started last week has also helped me to steer a path towards the problem statement definition too.   In essence, whilst I have already loosely adumbrated my theme of "things left behind" being connected to loss, grief and uncertainty, I want to address this complex, yet contemporary issue that seems to be a worsening trigger for stress, deteriorating mental well-being, and ultimately illness leading to clinical depression and other serious mental disorders, prevalent in society at the moment.

This theme ties nicely into my theme title and will be my proposed subject of investigation.

So here's a first pass problem statement (it is significantly simplified, compared to a business style statement (for example, as one might write in Six Sigma methodology, which might also include details of costs, time-scales and risks); - The path I usually follow is to address the what, where, when, which, who, how;  This is where my thinking is now;
"To develop a body of artistic work  which questions how contemporary society deals with loss, grief and constant change in everyday life. This must address the need to capture the attention of viewers to induce a reflective, positive affect that engages as a contemplative and meditative aesthetic.   
 (A sub-message is intended to raise awareness of daily self induced stress, which can lead to negative well being, anxiety, mental ill-health and eventually clinical depression if not resolved.  The theme of "things left behind" is the liminal state of the final stage of grief, that being 'to let go', and hence moving on)." 
 I will present a series of contemporary paintings,  from January to April 2016, using low cost acrylic pigments on canvas with additional materials, as high quality outputs, together with video and photographic images to support my progression".

 I anticipate this will need to be reduced for brevity, but the salient points are at least captured in my mind for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment