(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Monday 5 October 2015

Experiments with a Roy Lichtenstein-esk style stencil...

Having created my mind map together with the following brainstorm afterwards, I was conscious that I needed to make the mind map presentable to an audience for my critiques.

Having thought about the idea of "Things Left behind" a little further, my mind was taken back to my own origin where I spent the first six years of my life in somewhat an isolated environment, in South America.  It was during this time that pop art and the whole movement of change through the 1960s was occurring.

I decided to make a subtle reference to the movement of pop art within my mind map fading away.  The motif that I chose to link the concept with memory is beginning to fade, was the decorative.patterns that Roy Lichtenstein tended to use in his comic strips and style of art work.

I spent a few hours experimenting with an idea to create a dot pattern today, by using a stencil created in Adobe illustrator and then transferred to a laser cut acetate.


By using the Adobe Illustrator suite,  I was able to create a very accurate matrix of circles of 6 mm width, with the spacing of 4 mm between each circle.  I was then able to use laser cutting technology to transfer the Adobe Illustrator diagram to create a stencil that I could reuse multiple times.  I was delighted with the results and I experimented a number of ways in order to transfer various acrylic paints and inks onto the paper substrate through the stencil.




  Using traditional ink roller techniques, my first experiments were a little hit and miss as the ink roller was far too hard to penetrate the depth of the stencil.  I therefore used other transfer mediums to deposit the ink through the stencil.




Each method had different effects, all of which have an aesthetic quality.  But ultimately, the one that I was looking for which most replicated Roy Lichtenstein's original pop art paintings was to use a soft roller brush made from expanded polyurethane foam, which are freely available from hardware shops and are sold as "gloss paint rollers".

I was delighted with the results...

Various effects can be obtained through different application techniques as follows;








Overall, when applied to my mind map presentation, I got exactly the right effect I was looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment