(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Sunday 15 May 2016

The final leg towards "Quod Ultimam Partem"

For some months now, since an almost throw away comment by Dr Lister, (but I'm sure it wasn't), I have been wrestling with the idea of how to exhibit the major project final piece so that in Dr Lister's words, "it seems to float off the wall".

In thinking about how to present my final piece, which as explained in a previous blog, I have named in Latin as "that final piece" which roughly is "Quod Ultimum Partem" or Quod Ultimum Fragmen...
[Photograph, Courtesy of
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocca_della_Verita]
 I have chosen to do this not only for the slight mischief is a reference to an everyday object broken up like a jigsaw puzzle and that last fragment required in order for completion. In this case, (the fragment of the garden gnome), but also to draw on the idea of the temporal and old use of language.

Latin being an ancient language, it seems to fit with my piece quite well, as the memory of the Roman Italian "La Bocca della Verità" (The Mouth of Truth) comes into my imagination as I look at this.  (Interestingly,  I have visited this ancient site with my wife, and having eventually found it, the Boca di Veritas sits in a rather scruffy part of Rome on the side of a highway, and to all immediate views, one might think it is part of a sheltered bus stop).

Hadfield, G. (2016), Final Piece.
[Paper, Wood & domestic detritus composite]


The solution for the fixing of this quite large piece lies in what I believe to be an innovative fixing method using a series of A-frames. By creating a mounting which is adjustable, I believe that I have a very good opportunity to make sure that the aesthetic presentation of my work comes to a very high, if not exceptional standard, and I want to make sure that this final piece can be examined during the graduate show, so that viewers will get some insight into how I manufactured the piece. I'm particularly keen to enable the construction and the "special making"of the work come through. Therefore, there needs to be some visible access to the rear of the object and I hope that the innovative use of these A-frames will help me to demonstrate that.

Conclusions;


  • Timing is everything!... I need to provide some surprise factor in presenting the work and the frame needs to be manufactured this week.
  •  As I have chosen a wooden structure supported by steel coach bolts and hinges, I think that this is easily completed in less than a day.

References;


https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocca_della_Verit%C3%A0 ; Retrieved 15/05/2015 from Wikipedia.it.




No comments:

Post a Comment