(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Tuesday 10 May 2016

More thoughs about the presentation styles of my final piece.

Having pretty much completed all the major work on my final piece (which I shall submit as my major project for assessment in a couple of weeks time), I am exactly on target to my original plan. The intention of this week, week commencing eighth of May 2016, on my schedule, was to finalise the sculpture in such a sufficient way that I could then make various adjustments to the presentation style of the object.

My intention is to place the fragment at up to 45° clockwise from the centre point. I shall also attempt to make a suitable A-frame, or indeed to A-frame devices which will allow me to adjust the angle at which the object sits against a wall and the corresponding floor in the gallery. Because I have two presentation angles to consider, against the fixed angle of 90° weather wall and floor meets, it is probably the more precise use of English to explain that these A-frame's will be used to adjust the pitch and the yaw.


Having already made detailed blueprints or schematics as they are more commonly known in the contemporary manufacture, I am well placed to make a computer simulated, three-dimensional model of the sculpture to such an extent that I can develop measurements for the A-frame from those original schematics.

For the moment, though, the finished artefact has been rested against a wall of the workshop studio. In this position, raised approximately 3 feet above the ground at workshop bench level height, I am probably going to leave it in this position for the next few days at least, in order to just absorb the overall aura and presence of the peace.

Whilst it seems that there are other students who are also near completion of their works, for the past couple of weeks we have all been collaborating extremely well in order to make the studio space completely clear of all furniture, and of course, work, and fully repaint those spaces to convert the complex of studio spaces within the University contemporary art building into excellent gallery and exhibition space. As a mature student, I must say that the professional attitude, thoroughness and positive work ethic has been fantastic, together with an esprit de corps among the group that is so infectious that I truly want everyone to succeed who have contributed.

Conclusions.


  • I am very pleased with the results of the work that I have given towards this final piece over the last few weeks. Now that it appears to be completely dry, there are possibly just one or two small adjustments, such as the potential removal of the small piece of canvas to the lower centre portion of the gnome's beard, for example.
  • I have purposefully left a thorough rendering of application of the composite material completely off a number of parts of the face, and in particular some larger areas of the gnome's beard. Whilst I do have the opportunity to add more composite, I think my decision has been well tested by leaving these areas vacant. Now that a few days has passed over this last weekend, since completion last Friday, it has allowed me to consider, reconsider and reflect on the sculpture as I had promised myself to do so.
  • There are a few more days of this week to continue with the preparation of the gallery space, and I intend to use my experience of general carpentry to assist many of the other students in completing their particular requirements to stage and present their work in the most effective manner. This is a good thing for me to, because it allows me to step away from just purely focusing and concentrating on reflective self-doubts, and instead use my time positively to allow for latent learning, and hence reflection on the final outcomes as positively as possible, which are less inclined to be just purely emotional responses, but are more likely to be a better balance of both emotion and logic, mixed with a good amount of rhetoric and critical feedback that I can solicit from my compatriots.


No comments:

Post a Comment