(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Tuesday 2 December 2014

Reflections on the weekly Briefing... Art Studio Practice

At this stage of our education, the notion of "Study Groups" should now become a part of our "steering" towards our degree studies.  Which I appreciate is in fact part of our adult responsibility towards the approach of education.
During the next phase of our education, future steering will be much more limited, allowing us more freedom to create works of art from our own research and preferences.

A recent publication of a book called "Art School" by James Elkins is well worth purchasing.  He talks about Practice with the "c" and Practise with an "s" - and the difference between the two.  This shall be essential reading on future art courses I think...

I realise that my own potential can only be determined through the commitment to the work that I make.  Im also conscious that the assessment criteria for this degree is laid out as a kind of grid.  It uses very specific language, such as there must be sufficient research and also a body of work together with a level of commitment, personal self-discovery, as well as the finished and partially finished objects in order for the assessment to be correctly made.  This is not just about the breadth of research or the breadth of the object of art, but also has a great emphasis and equal emphasis on the depth of understanding of the work and the depth of engagement that the viewer may have of the work.  Therefore I agree that participation within the studio is vital.  This participation is all about mixing with other students who are undergoing the same transformations as I.  I will recommit myself to spending as much time as I can within the studio, but without detriment to my own personal life and relationships.  I know that as an individual I can sometimes become overcommitted to the point of almost being obsessive and I must guard myself but to peak too soon to apply myself to the exclusion of everything else that may be going on around me.

I think I need to revisit how I can illustrate by patterns of achievement, I imagination, I technical and research abilities, together with the progress that I am making, through these blogs.  I also realise I must show a relationship through the analysis and reflection in order to create a "storm" of artistic possibilities.  The thread of developmental ideas must be articulated through critical and contextual language, and is situated in this critical field.  I must push the boundaries through a deeper understanding of research and at the same time, engagement and commitment to it.  Through the journey so far I am beginning to realise that the tutors are not interested in just one piece of work, as an outcome to a terms study.  I desire to obtain a first degree us to be balanced, in that a first, is only obtained through a uniqueness based upon achievement in what I actually make.


No comments:

Post a Comment