(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Thursday 13 November 2014

Taste culture and difference. Grayson Perry's "Who Are You?" series.

I wanted to research a little more into some of the concepts that current culture.  I was interested in a fake identity, the alter-ego of modern life and its relationship with modern celebrity idealism.

Following some of the points that Grayson Perry's recent series on Channel 4 called "Who are You" had started to explore, I was able to put down my initial thoughts of potential areas to research.

Initial views of mine must be expressed, and what I mean by that is they must be  expelled / removed as a cathartic process...  It seems that so many of our society are searching for 'themselves' and have a idealised view of what adult life 'could' be based on what they see on television.  This search for salvation (as I have decided to call it) takes a number of forms. I think at the root level it is a search for certainty and stability. However, particularly in the Western cultures, this seems to have turned into a search for fame or money, but along with this, running as a parallel alternative, is interestingly a "return" religion in some cases.  As mentioned in the outset of this paragraph, I am conscious that I must not judge what is right or wrong, I am merely looking at what I think is happening in British society at the moment.

So we generally seem to have two parts.  Almost, like two choices... - We have this search for salvation turned into 'materialism' (which stems from Western capitalism), in itself a form of individual identity; and the second part is a new beginning for what seems to be a growing number of the population, into 'new' religions (and what I mean by that are religions that may not have been exposed to Western societies as they have been more recently).  Both of these are, as Grayson Perry puts it, "identities chosen off the shelf".

Anyway, back to earth....

Having taken a few observational notes based on what I believe are really four different western social classes, I've quickly put some behaviour / cognitive values below;





No comments:

Post a Comment