(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Wednesday 20 April 2016

Production continues, - reflections on research

Continuing the wireframe Continuing production of the wireframe substrate onto which I will later cover with a single layer of paper dipped in wallpaper paste, I have also been thinking about some of the suggestions that I have picked up during this past week.

There has been pressure to look at a quick method of coverage for this art piece by using plaster of Paris, however, I have been deliberating over this for some time in any event. I'm sticking to my original plan to only use paper to provide the outer form, as I believe that any kind of plaster of Paris, or alternative mineral-based plaster product such as Herculite, would render the object far too heavy to easily move. The paper will provide a lightweight and flexible medium. The papier-mâché material itself holds significant materiality in terms of the crosscutting and cross shredded bank statements, which in themselves necessarily hold and reflect an introductory notion of identity.

The fragility of paper is very different to that of plaster. Again my choice of material is reinforced, quite literally, because paper and papier-mâché are much less likely to break or fall apart if roughly handled. I'm comfortable that the choices I have made in the materials will provide a longer term reference point for the subject matter that I'm investigating, namely "The Things We Leave Behind".

Conclusions;

Having updated my very loose plan of production, I am still on target to complete the project by the allotted deadline for assessment, but I am conscious that there is little contingency (if any) to make any substantial changes if necessary....

No comments:

Post a Comment