(Current Studies, by blog description (2015-16)) - Click on each label to see corresponding posts!

Saturday 28 February 2015

Exploring the Interpretation of Bargue's Opinion of the Model

Having spent most of this week working on scales of the Charles Bargue drawing of "The Opinion of The Model" (1905) and re-interpreting it after an element of adaptation to a 6 foot by 4 foot scale, I worked on with the A0 size re-interpretation based solely on form, rather than line.  As per my previous blog, I'm reasonably happy with the result...


An idea occurred to reduce the drawing into a very small dry-point etch measuring 6 inches by 4 inches.  This was very much an experiment in this new medium for me, so the first attempts were rather naive...

 Exploring the results made me realize that my interest lay again in the drapery of the model's dress, and so some more experimenting was done, this time, by using some satin / silk style cloth arranged to maximise shadows and overlapping pleats...





This provided a primary source to just have soe fun!

My decision was to work in a large scale 6' x 4' mode, but this time, to try and remove any line or form from the object completely.

The resultant mess is what one might expect... Although I think there was some genuine expressive drawing going on with my 3" brush, I do not think the result has the kind of well conceived polish that I try to strive for.  Nevertheless, I did feel myself getting lost in the work at times, and my yearning for representation was almost lost in the abstraction of the dress.  My thoughts wandered into another project using electronics, and these were symbolised into the painting in a rather mind dumping manner.  I think it eventually worked in a way, but I would be grateful for honest comments...

No comments:

Post a Comment